Tuesday 6 May 2014

Book Review: World After by Susan Ee

Posted by Unknown at 14:21
BOOK REVIEW: World After by Susan Ee




World After
by Susan Ee
Book description from Goodreads:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?


Goodreads Link

My review:

***5 STARS***

I am in awe.

Thank you, Hodder & Stoughton for the book. I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to peek through these pages before the publication date.

Two years after Angelfall, and here we are!

Susan Ee should totally write this at the front page of her book as a warning:

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Because I lost sight of reality. I lost my grasp on what was real and what was not. My spirit was inside the book, right into this post-apocalyptic world.

Have you heard of a second book syndrome? It's like you're afraid to read the second book, in fear that it would tarnish all the lovely things that you felt from the first book. We are always afraid that the authors won't be able to raise up to that standard again, to create that kind of story.

Oh boy how wrong I was. Right from the beginning, the story pulled me in. I was sucked right into the world of angels and demons and daughters of men. My hands trembled as I flicked through each page, my heart was thundering in my chest. I swear it felt like having a heart attack reading this book, my emotions doing a roller coaster dive.

I cried, I laughed, I felt compassion, misery, love, all the emotions that a human could possess, all wrapped up in World After.

Books are my escape. I read to feel. When reality fails to bring any strong emotions swelling in my heart, I turn to books. Books are the only thing that can keep me alive. Breathe into me. And I felt every single wondrous bit of emotions that a human should feel.



World After is perfect. It was everything I could hope for and want. I cried a river reading this. It was beautiful and heart wrenchingly awesome!
Now I'm sad. I wish I can undo my read and start all over again with my mind blank. It was a worthy experience and I am proud to be part of it. I'm proud to be a reader.



I loved every single characters here. I think their roles and executions in this story were flawless. I even loved Penryn's mom! I think that lady is amazing, despite few screws loose in her head.

 "I'm not the devil's bride."
"He carried you out of the fire and is letting you visit us from the dead. Who else would have those privileges except his bride?"
She sees me once in a guy's arms and she had us married already. I wonder what Raffe would think of my mom being his mother-in-law.

Haha, totally made me laugh :'D

I won't be telling spoilers but there are further developments of the characters compared to book one.
For one thing, I'm irrevocably in love with Raffe. OMG this male made me all warm and fuzzy and I savoured every single thing about him. I don't even care if he turned into the devil, Raffe was simply awesome! Omg now I'm craving for things that doesn't even exist ugh.

I loved Paige too. In Angelfall, we see her deformed from the experiments. We will see more of Paige, have no doubt about that and I'm really fond of this seven-year-old girl. I felt my heart crumbling when she held out her hands to Penrynn and cried for her sister. I wanted to scoop her up in my arms too *sniffles* Okay, getting abit teary eye here.

And then we have Penrynn. The Daughter of Man.

And I couldn't get enough of this heroine. She was absolutely perfect. She ticked all the boxes. She was strong, a badass, a reluctant hero. But she wasn't without flaws. She also felt insecure, especially when dealing with Paige but it's how she overcome those struggles and her determination to survive that what made her special.
And because of her, I'm also proud to be daughter of man. She's my hero.



I'm sad that this has come to an end and goodness knows how long I'd have to wait for the next adventure. But let me tell you this. This book is a gem. Read it and absorb it well. People put value in gold, diamonds, etc but my treasure is books. Books that sucks you right into another world. It makes my mind rich and fulfilling. It makes my imaginations vivid. You wish that such thing as Inception exist?
Well, read books. Especially this book. You'll be able to jump into worlds in your head. Books are a uniquely portable magic.

So, welcome to my world.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Mad Hatter's Book Party Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei